We depend on our members and supporters. Your vital support will enable us to continue our campaigning, lobbying, education and research activities, and helps move population up the public agenda. Members receive a welcome pack, our magazine, and invitations to take part in volunteering, group activities and our annual conference. Active members may apply to become guarantor members, which entitles them to a vote at our Annual General Meetings.
If you are an existing member, please click here to renew.
- Membership is free for under-19 year olds or those in non-OECD member countries (periodicals by email). Contact us with your name, email and postal address and (if relevant) date of birth.
- Organizations are welcome to join at the prevailing rates.
- We accept all currencies via debit or credit card.
- We welcome contributions in addition to the appropriate rate.
You may instead send a cheque along with our print form to our office address,
or call us on +44 (0)20 8123 9116. You can give membership as a gift — just contact us with the name of the recipient and your message.
Population numbers affect everyone’s well-being, other species and humanity’s future.
- We promote smaller families at home and abroad.
- We publish research reports on the links between population numbers and resource security.
- We develop materials on population and sustainability for teachers and others.
- We lobby governments and international institutions by attending events and responding to consultations. We staff stalls, speak at fringe meetings and provide briefings.
- We ask civil society to recognize that population size matters to the causes they promote.
- We form local groups to raise awareness of population and sustainability, and support them with advice and materials.
- Welcome to the AnthropoceneThe human impact on the Earth is so deep and damaging that scientists are calling for our era to be called the Anthropocene – ‘the age of humans’. Currently, too few people know about the danger the natural world is in. We’re calling on organisations which educate the public about the natural world to face the facts and inform people about the facts.
We oppose the decision by the Trump administration to ban all US overseas aid to organisations which provide abortion or information about it. This decision will hit communities and countries where family planning saves lives and helps lift people out of poverty.
We are calling on the UK government to adopt an integrated and effective National Population Policy to address the significant challenges raised by the UK’s ongoing population growth, and the opportunities arising from demographic change.
We are supporting the campaign against the UK government’s decision to cut hundreds of millions of pounds from the grant that supports family planning and contraception services.
We believe that access to family planning services is fundamental to slowing and reversing unsustainable population growth.
We welcome your involvement in our activities. From contributing to our research or writing articles for our magazine or journal, to helping with organization or events, there is a valuable role you can play. Whatever time and skills you have to offer, do get in touch. Those interested should first take out membership. We make awards to volunteers who make a particularly significant contribution. Our discussion, area and other groups contribute to our research, educational and advocacy activities on population and sustainability issues.
Education and letter-writers’ groups
Our education group provides schools with speakers and other resources. Our letter-writers’ group shares information on and approaches to campaigning on population issues in the media.
Local and interest groups
Our local groups in the United Kingdom promote population concern and sustainability within their communities.
If you work in family planning, education or another profession or sector and would like to link up with others in your field, let us know.
If you are active in an environmental, faith or political organization and would like to connect with others promoting population in such organizations, get in touch.