- the education of the public in issues relating to human population worldwide and its impact on environmental sustainability;
- research to determine optimum and ecologically sustainable human population levels and to publicise the results of such research; and
- environmental protection by promoting policies that will lead or contribute to the achievement of stable human population levels allowing environmental sustainability.
- increasing awareness of the economic, social and environmental benefits of a smaller population, more sustainable lifestyles and environmental conservation;
- increasing awareness of the personal benefits of small families;
- contributing to empowering people to be able to choose their family size;
- contributing to reducing the number of unplanned pregnancies; and
- resourcing and governing our activities effectively.
We work to achieve our strategic goals by:
- promoting changes in preferences and behaviours by communicating the social, environmental and personal benefits of small families;
- increasing understanding among opinion formers;
- supporting improvements to women’s rights, sex and relationships education and sexual and reproductive health and rights;
- commissioning research in order to improve understanding of issues related to population and family size;
- increasing acceptance of our message through using an open and conversational tone; and
- working with other organizations to achieve shared goals.
We work to support our approach with the following activities:
- maintaining a delivery model of a mix of staff, contractors, agencies and volunteers;
- depending mainly on our members, but seeking funding elsewhere; and
- adopting best practices in governance.