- the education of the public in issues relating to human population worldwide and its impact on environmental sustainability;
- research to determine optimum and ecologically sustainable human population levels and to publicise the results of such research; and
- environmental protection by promoting policies that will lead or contribute to the achievement of stable human population levels allowing environmental sustainability.
- increasing awareness of the economic, social and environmental benefits of a smaller population, more sustainable lifestyles and environmental conservation;
- increasing awareness of the personal benefits of small families;
- contributing to empowering people to be able to choose their family size;
- contributing to reducing the number of unplanned pregnancies; and
- resourcing and governing our activities effectively.
We work to achieve our strategic goals by:
- promoting changes in preferences and behaviours by communicating the social, environmental and personal benefits of small families;
- increasing understanding among opinion formers;
- supporting improvements to women’s rights, sex and relationships education and sexual and reproductive health and rights;
- commissioning research in order to improve understanding of issues related to population and family size;
- increasing acceptance of our message through using an open and conversational tone; and
- working with other organizations to achieve shared goals.
We work to support our approach with the following activities:
- maintaining a delivery model of a mix of staff, contractors, agencies and volunteers;
- depending mainly on our members, but seeking funding elsewhere; and
- adopting best practices in governance.
Our principal outcomes in our 2015-16 financial year are set out below.
- Campaigns – Most ever campaigns involving membership
- Education – Two videos with approaching 10,000 views
- Financing – Record income, expenditure and funds
- Lobbying – Most ever contacts with MPs and journalists
- Governance – Improved management of funds, information, operations and website
- Malthus – marked the 250th anniversary of his birth
- Membership – Record membership numbers
- News – 350 mentions in the UK press
- Promotion – Bus advertising seen by an estimated 2m people
- Research – 30 briefings produced
- Resources – Record staff numbers
- Social media – Record followers and likes
- Story – Celebrated our 25th anniversary