We depend on our members and supporters. Your support enables us to continue our campaigning, lobbying, education and research, and to move population up the agenda. Members receive a welcome pack, periodicals, merchandise, and invitations to volunteering, group activities and our annual conference. Active members may apply to become guarantor (voting) members.
Donate without joining
You may instead send a cheque along with our print form to our office address, call us on +44 (0)208 1239116 or use the Charities Aid Foundation. You can give a donation as a gift — just contact us with the name of the recipient and your message.
- Welcome to the AnthropoceneThe human impact on the Earth is so deep and damaging that scientists are calling for our era to be called the Anthropocene – ‘the age of humans’. Currently, too few people know about the danger the natural world is in. We’re calling on organisations which educate the public about the natural world to face the facts and inform people about the facts.
- US cuts to global family planning aid We oppose the decision by the Trump administration to ban all US overseas aid to organisations which provide abortion or information about it. This decision will hit communities and countries where family planning saves lives and helps lift people out of poverty.
- Sustainable Population Policy We are calling on the UK government to adopt an integrated and effective Sustainable Population Policy to address the significant challenges raised by the UK’s ongoing population growth, and the opportunities arising from demographic change.
- Public health cuts We are supporting the campaign against the UK government’s decision to cut hundreds of millions of pounds from the grant that supports family planning and contraception services.
- Increased aid for family planning We believe that access to family planning services is fundamental to slowing and reversing unsustainable population growth.
Population numbers affect everyone’s well-being, other species and humanity’s future.
- We promote smaller families at home and abroad.
- We publish research reports on the links between population numbers and resource security.
- We develop materials on population and sustainability for teachers and others.
- We lobby governments and international institutions by attending events and responding to consultations. We staff stalls, speak at fringe meetings and provide briefings.
- We ask civil society to recognize that population size matters to the causes they promote.
- We form local groups to raise awareness of population and sustainability, and support them with advice and materials.
Other ways to give are listed below.
Leave a gift or shop online
Donate by text or payroll
To donate by SMS, text POPM07 and an amount to 70070. You will receive a text acknowledgement. We won’t be able to claim Gift Aid, but this is a convenient option for small amounts. If your employer offers a payroll giving scheme, please consider donating in this way. It reduces our administration costs and ensures that we automatically receive the tax you have paid on the value of your donation.
Give while you shop or phone
We are registered with Easyfundraising. Any online shopping you do via this site will not cost you any more, and Population Matters will get a percentage of what you spend. We are also registered with eBay, meaning that you can donate to Population Matters some or all of what you receive when you auction off an item.
Sponsored activity is an easy and enjoyable way to raise money. You can set up your personal online sponsorship page at JustGiving. Fundraising pages are tried, tested and completely secure. It’s a great way to raise money from friends and family, and gives you the opportunity to tell them about Population Matters. If you would like to officially participate with us, please contact us.
Donating shares to Population Matters is a great way to support us, and could also be financially shrewd. It’s highly tax-effective, as you won’t have to pay capital gains tax on the shares and can also claim income tax relief. If they are worth over £100, just contact us. If not, contact ShareGift, which specialises in small holdings, mentioning Population Matters.
Giving in memory
We welcome gifts given in memory of a loved one. We are happy to discuss how the gift is used and to commemorate the gift on request through a notice in our Update or on our website. You can also choose to create a memorial page at Justgiving or MuchLoved.
Companies and charitable trusts
We welcome the involvement of companies and charitable trusts. We would be happy to discuss ideas for working together on specific areas.